Thursday, February 2, 2012

Guatemala Bound


Don’t you just love airports? It’s all out entertainment. The porters, they are so nice, then run off with your stuff at a dead run. Oh no, my shoe lace came untied, “Do I chance it?” I’m lucky, been this route before, I know where he is going.   From the airport bus to the terminals, there is an elevator, he has to stop and wait. I catch up, out the elevator, there he goes, again. He waits after my bag has been placed in front of the line, has too, he needs to get paid. If one is early, you get a seat in the front of the plane. No waiting when it is time to “disembark”. You get your bags first (maybe) and get through customs first and easy. So I am early, more airport fun. 

There are two choices when waiting. 1) The stores – book stores can be some of the greatest. The boutiques are top notch and top prices, if someone told you to get great deals at the duty free, they are uninformed or they lied. The window shopping or idea grabbing is fantastic. Check out these boots I found with hand embroidered Mexican designs! I want these. Nope, I did not even look at the price. 
 


Mexican or From the States?
2) The food courts, even better than the general waiting areas for people watching. Oh yes, you can grab a bite to eat, as your cover. In Mexico City, this means anything from McDonald's to specialty foods.  Me, I kicked back with a plate of Chinese veggies and rice. Let's settle in for some  real fun. It’s here you see the traveler, the workers, and in Mexico City, the folks who live near by and come to hang. Now we get to my favorite game when I have ran out of books and no one wants to give free internet. Guessing who is who and what their story might be.Take a look at this family.  At first glance, regular Mexican family. Absolutely not! Only a tourist would wear such a hat, even the rancho guys around San Miguel would not wear such a thing.  The kid is the give away, his t-shirt (has a weird creature on it) says I am from the states. They have been to see Grandma, and on their way back home.
Two Women Backpackers - Tell Me Your Story 
Two women backpacking. Mother and daughter? I will let you make up your own story. Maybe, one is German. Yes both, German backpackers on their way to Costa Rica. What's your story?



The Airport Workers

The two girls taking their break from their cleaning jobs.  Man is she mad, they have made her clean the lost baggage area all morning. There is an open bay to the outside and it is freezing!



Now, after we have had all of that fun, begins the time of doubt. Is my plane really coming to this gate? They always change it at the last minute. Am I the only one who doesn’t know?  Oh look, they are boarding my flight, at the gate next to the gate it is supposed to be. It is a bit early, about 30 minutes early?  No, people are going on the plane, the attendants are not calling the seat numbers like normal.  Did I miss all of that while buried in my computer?  I am going up, so I did, pack up the computer and walked into a half full plane. Have they changed the time? They do that sometimes, at least I am on board. So we sit, and sit. Why do they not turn the air on, I can’t breathe. Twenty minutes or more has passed, now I feel the plane is moving, down the tarmac we go.   Plane stops and we wait, again.  You bet, in the end we leave 10 minutes late.  I am off to Guatemala and can’t wait to start my journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment